Thursday, April 25, 2013

Traditional Self-Help Tools - Mistaken and Downright Dangerous

There's a blueprint most self-help experts follow.

Read a bunch of the books, listen to the tapes, or go to the seminars and you'll see they all travel down the same path of "Be - Do - Have". Or, as they put it, you have to Become the person who can Do what's necessary to achieve what you want to Have.

However, I believe there's a giant mistake in that blueprint. After all, it assumes there's something wrong with you to begin with!

By taking that approach - that you're flawed from the get-go - you're putting yourself in danger. Maybe not physically, but certainly emotionally. Who wants to be told there's something wrong with them? How's that helpful? What if all you need is a little boost and not a complete personality makeover? By taking part in "self-help", you've actually made the problem worse and that's a dangerous hole to fall into.

If you think I'm just being critical of the self-help world, think again. I've been in your shoes. In fact, I used to spend lots of time reading self-help books - most often "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. For years, I thought his words were the key to success.

Now, looking back on those days, I think his advice was completely overrated.

Don't get me wrong. I think there's a lot of great information in there. However, I think Hill also says a lot of things that don't need to be said.

After all, here I was trying to make myself better - only I had all 31 of his "causes of failure". Every single one of his self-analysis questions left me feeling worse than before I started. He made me feel like I had a huge mountain to climb before I could even consider the POSSIBILITY of getting rich.

And then, in case I didn't feel bad enough by that point, there were his "ifs".

If I had the courage to see myself...

If I could find out what was wrong with me...

If I could correct it...

If I had a chance...

The truth is, for as long as I pinned my hopes on this advice, I never had a chance. I was too down on myself to move forward with anything.

To me, that's dangerous.

Why on earth did I subject myself to all of this self-doubt for so long? It's a question I've asked myself many times since and it's one you may suddenly be asking yourself now!

Unfortunately, in my quest for an answer, I learned that filling your head with self-doubt is a great way to sell self-help products. After all, if you got stronger and got happier, you wouldn't need any more help, would you? Had I learned that lesson sooner, I could have moved forward with a much more positive mindset much sooner in my life!

That's why I'm sharing it with you now. You don't have to wallow in self-doubt. You can move forward, right now.

So, how do you do it?

The key is very simple... It's YOU!

You have what it takes to get what you want. There's nothing wrong with you. You don't have a laundry list of things that need to be fixed before you can consider the possibility of being happy. There are no "ifs" you have to overcome.

The only thing that's standing in between you and the life you want is actually deciding what you want!

Once you decide what will make you truly happy, you have all of the tools you need to go after it. If there's something you need from the "outside world" along the way, have faith that it'll come to you.

So, take the old "Be - Do - Have" mindset, twist it around, and use this new idea to move forward with your life:

- Be who you are, without trying to "fix" anything first.

- Get on with the Doing.

- And soon enough you'll Have what you want!


----------------------------------------------------
Tony Mase is a serious student of the works of Wallace D. Wattles and the author of "Constructive Science 101: 3 Keys to Getting What You Want" that reveals Wallace D. Wattles' simple, easy-to-understand formula for success. Grab your free copy now at: http://www.constructivescience101.com



EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=325300

No comments:

Post a Comment