Thursday, May 24, 2012

3 Keys to Successful Time Management

In demanding times we still have 24 hours a day. That might appear to be quite a natural statement, but think about it. During the good times each one has a lot of time to do what is worthwhile and what they take pleasure in. In hard times it becomes far more difficult to apply your mind as a result of procrastination in addition to fear. The single point we lack is self-confidence. When we are anxious, we're both paralyzed or frenetic and often unproductive. Either way, effectual time management loses its way.

So for myself I feel that time management is a misleading statement. Time is time. It can't be stretched out or contracted. The appropriate label must be that time management is actually personal management managing myself inside the dimension of time. Everybody receives 24 hours. You are not able to increase it or reduce it. So self management is really what counts: how I handle myself in the 24-hour period determines if I achieve my goals or not. Intentions never show up in diaries; actions do.

I on one occasion agreed to do an exercise where I kept a diary of everything that I did and listed in 15-minute segments for two weeks for every single day. Other than being comprehensive and boring, it gave me insight into how I exploit my time and more significantly if I was actually accomplishing my purpose. I then became a convert to maintaining a diary every day, which was linked to my goals and objectives, and this was 23 years ago, and I'm nevertheless converted to this fact.

From this expertise I came up with a few negotiables.

1. Always prepare tomorrow five minutes before the end of today.

Why? Your day is fresh in your thoughts in order to understand what you did and what needs to be carried over, so make a list of those things which might be carryovers for tomorrow. Secondly your brain must be freed up once you go home in an effort to relaxation and never be anxious concerning that department presentation. Did you actually sort it out or didn't' you? The brain needs rest.

2. Decide on your priorities in line with your energy levels.

I list all of my activities for the day and separate them into A's and C's. A's are the top in priority that need attention and dedicated time. C's are less vital and call for less focus. At this point assess your energy levels. When throughout the day can you do your As and your Cs? Some clients I work with like to do their As from eight to 11 in the morning and then take a rest close to lunch to do Cs after which do As later on in the afternoon. You might be completely different, but listen to your body if you're doing all your diary management for tomorrow. Every day might differ, so arrange your diary in line with your energy levels.

3. Your diary keeps you sincere.

Decide to do what the diary says, and only change in exceptional cases. I'm not advocating legalism, but this is your diary, and these are your plans which must be accomplished. The diary is simply a device which makes this come true on a day by day basis. While you're doing all your As, you get 2 forms of priorities. An A that is overwhelming is one which needs time and energy to be dedicated to it. With this do what we term the Swiss cheese approach. Swiss cheese is filled with holes, so do just a few activities every day towards this, and gradually but surely it should all be eaten up. If it is unpleasant, this sort of A must be carried out immediately. As they say in the Nike advertisements, "Just do it." Otherwise it will become overwhelming as well.

We all know the old adage that says that a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I do believe Confucius was clever in what he said. Daily time management using a diary is your single step every single day to attaining your life objectives. You might have goals and visions of what you want to become, and these may grow to be quite emotional as you write them down, however I can reassure you that they are only as good as what you are going to put in your diary tomorrow relating to that ambition. One step after the other will take you to the peak of the highest mountain you might ever contemplate climbing.


----------------------------------------------------
Murray Kilgour is a leadership coach focusing on taking you to the next level in your leadership style, business or personal development. His wealth of experience over 20 years will help you gain new insight. Click here http://www.youtube.com/user/MurrayKilgour?feature=mhee to view a selection of his videos or visit his website at http://www.murraykilgour.com for lots of free content.


EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=272579

No comments:

Post a Comment