Thursday, April 12, 2012

Benefit From Life's Diversions

It's Sunday and I had my morning planned. I was going to teach a private yoga lesson at the studio I teach at, go to a cafe with my computer to do some work, then return to the studio to sub a yoga class. After that I would return the house I am taking care of for friends and enjoy walking their three dogs for a while before continuing to work. Yes, It's Sunday and I've got some work to do. I'm playing catch up, putting in some hours for those I missed last week when I played hookie and went snowboarding for two days in 15 inches of snow. I knew it would be my last opportunity to do so since the resort closed today. However, things don't always turn out as planned.

When I went to start my car I couldn't because my battery was dead. I was house sitting for a friend in a very rural area with few neighbors. Lucky for me, I used to live in this deserted part of the world on the outskirts of Santa Fe, so I called a friend who lives a few dirt roads over to give me a jump. About an hour later, she came with her husband and after several minutes, we got my car started again. It was during that hour that I rescheduled my private and then just sat back and enjoyed the view of big open skies and the very dry earth, with scraggy grass that surrounds me.

After a short meditation, I started day dreaming. I was thinking about how quickly plans can change and how often my intended plans do change. It reminds me of a saying I have often heard my teacher, Shubhraji say. "Be happy when things go your way and be even happier when them don't. It is then, you know that you are living life according to God's plan." I guess the plan was for me to slow down and take time to enjoy this beautiful spring morning instead of buzzing from here to there.

So keeping this in mind and with just a few alterations in my day, I flow with these changes as gracefully as I can. The lesson I take from this experience is acceptance. It's a reminder to me that ultimately, I am not in control of every aspect of my life. Grace, plays a big role in our lives whether we recognize this fact or not. It is a blessing to be reminding of this daily Divinity. Instead of being disappointed to not teach the private yoga lesson, which is always enjoyable and profitable, I got to visit with two friends whom I haven't seen in many months.

When we slow down and let go of our busy schedules, we notices more of this occurrences with grace. There is grace in witnessing the rising of the sun, grace in the winds that blow, grace in our pets, grace in brushing our teeth. Grace is everywhere. You may be thinking, "grace in brushing your teeth? I can understand grace in the sunrise, but brushing ones teeth?" Yes, there is grace in brushing our teeth. It is a time for us to take care of ourselves. Usually there is a mirror above the sink in which we do so and it is an opportunity to look grace right the face. We are created in the essence of grace. We are graceful beings, soulful, and full of spirit.

Detours in life steer us of our chosen or desired course and move us through a new path. The detours slow us down, these obstacles give us the opportunity to experience something new and challenge our reactions to diversity. It is a chance for us to put our spiritual practice to use. How do we respond to the unknown, the unexpected? Do we get angry, irritable and annoyed, or do we accept where we are right in this present moment? It is an opportunity to transition. Obstacles placed in our path are a means to remind us of the practice of being present. Present. It is a gift. A gift of grace, from grace.


----------------------------------------------------
Receive spiritual insights, guidance and wisdom from awakened teachers of all the world's traditions. Sign up for our Spiritual Awakening e-course -- each issue is packed with tips, advice and techniques to realize your own awakening, brought to us by traditions from Advaita to Zen: http://spiritualwoodstock.com/e-course.html

EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=262755

No comments:

Post a Comment