Monday, January 2, 2012

Can Positive Thinking Change My Life?

How can I change my life for the better by shifting my thought perception? Can positive thinking really become a benefit to my life? "The Secret" has stated we can manifest what we want by thinking posotively, but how? Just like the saying goes, "We are what we eat", we are our thoughts.

Positive affirmations can sometimes be tricky statements to create for ourselves because we often feel a sense of lack in some way, which reflects in our words. We may continuously continue to hold on to the past events that have taken place in our lives and wish for things to be different. Or maybe we don't feel satisfied because we are expecting the future to lead us into our ideal living situation. But my teacher, Shubhraji, has always said, "Do NOT be a beggar in your prayers to God!" Do not speak to God like we would Santa. We must commune with God, not ask for a wish list! I thought this was very interesting because I was raised Roman Catholic and I have always prayed to God with my want/wish list. So this had become a new concept for me.

The universe is a reflection of our own thoughts. The universe does not respond to the "I don't want this" or "I hope this doesn't happen." It only responds to the thought. If I think, "I hope I don't spill coffee on my white shirt," the universe, hears, spill coffee on my white shirt. And so it responds by spilling coffee on my white shirt! If we become caught in a web of despair, our lives will reflect our cycle of despair.

We are beings with a birthright to bliss! We are not beings of dis-repair! We are whole, no matter what we feel we may be lacking in our lives. We are whole no matter how many different directions we may feel pulled in. This reminds me of the shanti mantra, peace prayer, "Brahman, the Inexhaustible" from the Brhad-aranyaka Upanishad. Upanishad literally means to sit down near. In ancient India, students gathered around their teacher to listen to the profound teachings which guide us to living in full awareness.

The translation of this mantra is based on the notion of fullness, wholeness or completeness. "That is full, this is full. From fullness, fullness proceeds. If we take away the fullness from fullness, only fullness remains. The reference of fullness here is meant to indicate The Absolute within us. While the world is finite, it has its roots in the infinite Absolute. The manifestation of this world does not diminish the fullness or integrity of the Absolute.

By cultivating positive affirmations we reflect our own fullness and bring our awareness to the present moment. The present, is a GIFT to us in the here and now. When we stop living in the past or project ourselves into the future, we heighten our awareness to the gifts present to us right in this moment.

As an example, I will share my affirmation with you. "I have complete faith and trust in the universe. I am supported in all I do by the Grace of God. I am deeply loved and the relationship is THERE. I am truly abundant! I am grateful!"

Notice there is not projection in the future. There is no begging in that statement. There is no sense of lack or desire. It is an absolute expression of gratitude that I have all that I need right NOW in this very moment! It is an expression and reflection of wholeness.

As we finely tune our minds to the "presents" presence of fullness in our lives, the Universe can only reflect that back to us. It is a lesson in the refinement of our language. We must become fully aware of the words we speak and be truly positive in them. It is a lesson of learning to live our lives in the present!

Om Shanti Shanti Shantih


----------------------------------------------------
Receive spiritual insights, guidance and wisdom from awakened teachers of all the world's traditions. Sign up for our Spiritual Awakening e-course -- each issue is packed with tips, advice and techniques to realize your own awakening, brought to us by traditions from Advaita to Zen: http://spiritualwoodstock.com/e-course.html

EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=241107

No comments:

Post a Comment