Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Importance Of Giving

I was trying to ignore my dog yesterday as I was munching on a handful of peanuts. He looked at me so longingly - the way a lovelorn boy gazes at his high school crush. The dog wanted a taste (dog whisperer Cesar Milan says peanuts are good for dogs), but I only had a handful - but still, my dog wanted me to give some to him. Why should I?

This situation is applicable not only to pets and their masters, but most especially to humans. We have so little, yet we are asked to give. We barely earn enough, and yet we are expected to give to charity. We can only do so much physically, and yet, we are trained to go beyond our limits. So why are people expected to give until it hurts?

Because in doing so, we benefit ourselves.

GIVING IS GOOD FOR THE HEART AND SOUL

After a few munches on the peanuts, I realized that they were no longer fun to eat. Why? Because in the process of making myself happy, I have made my dog unhappy. He looked like he was going to burst into tears (if he could). All he was asking for was a few pieces, yet there I was - torturing him with every crunch. I couldn't stand it. My dog is so loyal to me, he saved me once from an intruder in our house. If it weren't for my faithful pet, I could have been murdered by a thief that entered our home a year ago.

This is much like life - sometimes, we only expect to receive, but give back so little. Sure, it's exciting when we get gifts, but how often do we give - especially to those who really need it?

Have you noticed that you feel so happy right after helping somebody out? It's an inexplicable feeling of elation that is hard to put into words. Giving does wonders for one's soul. It leaves us feeling so fulfilled, knowing that we have been of service to others. Being selfish, on the other hand, eats up at our very core. One act of selfishness is enough to start a habit that is hard to break. We take and take, without giving back, then ultimately realize that in our desire to satisfy our greed, all our friends have turned their backs on us. So with no one to share your accumulated blessings, what do you do with it? You die alone, miserable and probably hated by many.

GIVING DOES NOT ONLY MEAN "GIVING MONEY"

People have the tendency to think that giving only means giving money or gifts. Very wrong. Giving entails sharing of one's talents, helping out physically in charitable endeavours (like soup kitchens), as well as simply teaching others how to help themselves.

Your talents, like singing and dancing, can help in a concert benefitting the needy. Sometimes, (actually most of the time) extending physical help like rescuing flood victims is all the help others need to get from you. You help save lives and their livelihood, and you encourage the people who are in a bad way to rebuild their lives.

There are times, even giving/offering a shoulder to cry on is what will prevent someone from taking their so-called "miserable life."

Humans are created as social beings. We need each other to be happy - no matter how some people deny it. No sole person can run the entire world on his own. So the next time someone give you anything, think of how you can reciprocate their kindness. Giving does wonders for the soul. You end up feeling happy, satisfied, fulfilled by giving back. Isn't it wonderful that in your quest to help others, you help yourself, too? Wonderful.

As for the peanuts, they tasted better after I shared some with my dog. Receiving becomes meaningless and bland if you don't return the favour. Try it, you'll feel better.


----------------------------------------------------
Michael Griffiths is the CEO and Founder of Secrets Of A Super Life, providing individuals with personal development strategies to increase their purpose, passion, happiness and life fulfilment. For your free life success pack please visit http://www.mysuperlifetoday.com


EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=237093

No comments:

Post a Comment