Wednesday, November 16, 2011

2 Quotes to Help You Understand & Challenge Fear

Where does fear come from?

Seriously, where do we develop our list of fears that seem to plague each and every one of us? Was there a 2-for-1 sale on at the nearby supermarket? Was it fashionable to be fearful back in the day, when we were growing up? Or did our parents simply give us their "hand-me-downs", share their fears with us out of love and kindness (and complete and utter ignorance - oops!)?

Does it even matter where our fears come from, actually? Or is it more important to know that we are possessed by fears, more than we realise, and it is our duty to ourselves - and to the world - for us to be aware of our fears, and thus not limited by them.

That's what this fear article is going to try to argue, anyway. And, as usual, I'll be using the inspirational words of others to help me prove my point...

Inspirational Fear Quote #1:

"Fear is a habit; so is self-pity, defeat, anxiety, despair, hopelessness and resignation. You can eliminate all of these negative habits with two simple resolves: I can!! and I will!!" -- Unknown

I've heard about biting your finger nails as a habit - yuck! - but fear really is a much 'nastier', more pervasive habit, don't you agree?

And, more likely than not, we all started this unpleasant, limiting habit when we children - receivers of faulty programming, when we were naught but 'young uns'!

The truth of which - when I think of what I have 'lost' so far in this life, and what struggles I have endured in the name of fear - is enough to give this man (me!) a wobbly lip. Instead, I'll settle for this unsmiley, sad face :-(

THANKFULLY - and I do mean to shout - what we can learn as a child we can unlearn as an adult!

And my unlearning starts here, in this very article about fear. (I hope your unlearning starts here, too.)

Yes, I've decided that as of today, at time of writing, I'm going to challenge every fear that comes my way. I'm going to start by noticing them; then I'm going to wonder whether the respective fears I notice serve me well as an adult; and then, then I'm going to challenge each fear that doesn't.

It may make for uncomfortable feelings, sometimes - some of my fears serve me, truth be known, serve my distorted view of the world - but I am willing to be challenged this way.

The greatest crimes committed against humanity, I believe, our how we let our fears ruin our own lives. And most of us do this, on a daily basis, believe me!

So, yes, I'm going to do as Susan Jeffers says and 'feel the fear (and do it anyway)'. I know it sounds corny, but I reckon fear is corny. It's certainly not something to be ashamed of. Not any more, not now we know where it all comes from - a magical place of 'make believe' that NO LONGER EXISTS in our adult lives.

So how about you? What will you do when you discover that many of your greatest fears are absolutely unnecessary?...

Inspirational Fear Quote #2:

"Everyone believes very easily whatever they fear or desire." -- Jean de La Fontaine

Perhaps you will do as I intend to do, from today, and start fantasising about your life, start having grand desires.

I've tried living under the vengeful eye of fear, tried making things 'right' to appease it, and it simply didn't (and doesn't) work. Instead, fear exhausts me, makes me feel miserable - and it absolutely serves no-one, in the end.

Much better to fantasize about winning the Euro Millions lottery, I say. Much better to desire a healthy, love-filled life. Much better to desire laughter, dancing and singing.

Much better any (non-harmful to others) desire than to revert back into 'faulty' character, to take on the nasty habit that is fear.

What do you say, are you with me? Shall we say no to the most common fears that plague us all? Shall we say yes to the desires that can change the world, and change our world?

C'mon, together we can do this, we can ALL do this!...


----------------------------------------------------
And just in case you were wondering what the scary collection of most common fears looks like, you might like to take a sneak peak here - http://www.selfhelpcollective.com/most-common-fears.html

From Steve M Nash - Editor of http://www.SelfHelpCollective.com


EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=231401

No comments:

Post a Comment